|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Courses Previously Transferred:||Click here to view|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Language of Instruction:||Dutch, English, French||
Glossary entry for program parameter 10370Recommended Academic Area:
|Accounting, Business Education, Finance, Information and Technology Management, Management, Marketing|
Glossary entry for program parameter 10372Minimum GPA:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10373Class Eligibility:
|graduate, junior, senior, sophomore second semester|
Brussels, Belgium - “The Capitol of Europe”
Brussels is essentially the capitol of Europe. It is the seat of the European Union and NATO and home to countless international organizations. Brussels has grown from a 10th-century fortress town founded by Prince Charles of Lorraine to a city with a population of 1.2 million. Since the end of the Second World War, Brussels has been a principal center for international politics and business. Brussels is universally known as a city of high culture, and of entertainment and leisure that rivals any metropolis in the world.
- Study in Brussels costs just about the same as studying in Bloomsburg.
- Students pay tuition and fees at Bloomsburg University, the same as if they were taking classes in Bloomsburg.
- Financial aid and grants apply to study in Brussels as they would at Bloomsburg.
- SCHOLARSHIPS are available for students who study abroad on exchange programs from a variety of sources.
- Students pay minor fees to cover health insurance, incidental program costs, and the student identification.
- Student IDs not only allow access to university facilities, such as the library, but are also good for student discounts of many kinds, including transportation, dining, and cultural events.
- Student Rooms: single rooms in private student houses shared with 5-10 other students. Generally the rooms are furnished and are about 12 to 15 m² in size (11 ft to 13 ft square, normal for a university dorm bedroom at BU). Bed linen, towels and kitchen utensils are not provided. Every room has a private sink, but in most cases kitchen, showers and toilets have to be shared. Rent varies between $450 and $500 per month, depending on the size, comfort and location of the room.
- Studios: one-room flats with a private kitchenette and bathroom. The average size is 15 to 20 m². Rental prices range from $500 for a single studio to $870 for a double studio.
- Apartments: the rent goes from $870 to $1250 per month, depending on the size, location and furnishing. Although there is no meal plan as we know it, the university dining halls offer a wide variety of midday meals at a low price. Otherwise, students generally prepare their own meals at home or eat out.
- Students are responsible for their own travel. Travel costs can vary.
- A round-trip ticket to Brussels from Newark International Airport is currently around $1000-$1100.
- Students can often find student discounts for airfare. See the General Information and Handy Links page.
- BU students enjoy greeting and orientation by mentors/tutors who help BU students adjust to the university and the city, and who help get BU students registered and settled in. Request mentor in advance.
- Students must be full-time students and take 12 to 18 credits.
- Credits transfer as per advisement with the program director.
- BU students study for one or two semesters in Brussels.
- Students can take classes in Business and in Dutch and French languages. A few other classes, such as Philosophy and Psychology, are also taught in English.
- We strongly encourage students to study abroad for two semesters, especially if international activity will be part of future career plans or if a student is planning to apply to graduate school.
- The fall semester begins at the beginning of September and ends in December; the spring semester begins at the end of January and ends in June.
To be eligible for the program, students must be enrolled full time at Bloomsburg University or at a University in the PA State System of Higher Education and be in good academic standing.