Programs > Brochure
BU University of Trier Summer German Language
Trier, Germany (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Courses Previously Transferred:||Click here to view|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer||2019||04/12/2019 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
|Language of Instruction:||German||
Glossary entry for program parameter 10370Recommended Academic Area:
Summer German Language Program at the University of Trier in Trier, Germany
A four-week intensive German program that takes place in August.
- Students pay tuition and housing costs to the University of Trier.
- Tuition for summer 2018: 600,00€ (about $700)
- Housing 280,00€ (about $325) for single room accommodations, plus a 50€ (about $58) security deposit that is paid back at the end of the course, assuming the room is left in good condition.
- Health insurance is required and costs about $50, to be purchased upon arrival at the University of Trier.
- Scholarships are available. See the "Scholarships" page on the Global Education Website.
- There is no meal plan as we know it, the university dining halls offer a wide variety of midday meals at a low price. Otherwise, students generally prepare their own meals in the dormitory.
- Travel to Trier includes airfare to Frankfurt am Main and then railway fare to Trier (about a three-hour train ride). Travel costs vary widely. In the past, students have taken advantage of off-season rates and have purchased plane tickets for as low as $800 from New York, Newark, or Philadelphia. The train costs approximately $70 one way from the Frankfurt airport.
- Textbooks and course materials are free.
- Students earn 6 credit hours of German
- Credits transfer as per advisement with the BU German program director.
- The course takes place during four weeks in August
- Students take a placement test and take courses in German language at all levels from complete beginners to advanced.
- Students receive 80 hours of instruction in German
- be enrolled at Bloomsburg University or at a University in the PA State System of Higher Education
- be in good standing at the university
- be nominated by the BU German Program Director.
- complete the BU application and pay the application fee ($25) and purchase the International Student ID ($25).
Trier's history goes back well over 2000 years as an outpost of the Roman Empire. Still-standing ancient Roman structures, the St. Peter Cathedral, and the museums of archeology and history are some of Trier's most famous tourist attractions.
The University of Trier was founded in 1473, closed in 1796, and reopened in 1970.
Trier has a population of about 100,000 and is located in the Moselle river valley, with most of the city on the east bank of the Moselle river. The landscape around Trier is covered with forest and vineyards. Trier sits on the border with Luxembourg.
Located in the middle of Germany's wine-growing region, Trier also is home to companies in the food, textile, and precision engineering industries.
You can reach the home page for the Universität Trier by clicking here: Universität Trier: Main Page