Programs > Brochure
SOL Education Abroad-Mexico
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Courses Previously Transferred:||Click here to view|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Language of Instruction:||English, Spanish||
Glossary entry for program parameter 10370Recommended Academic Area:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10372Minimum GPA:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10373Class Eligibility:
|graduate, junior, senior, sophomore second semester|
Study Abroad in Oaxaca, Mexico
through SOL Education Abroad.
- Spanish language classes in Oaxaca are taught at the University of Oaxaca (Universidad Autónoma "Benito Juárez" de Oaxaca, UABJO),
- The University of Oaxaca was established in 1827 as one of the first universities in Mexico.
- Language classes are taught at the Facultad de Idiomas, the language department of the university.
- The Spanish program began here in 1987.
- University facilities are located in the historic center of Oaxaca and are only a few blocks south of the famous Zócalo, or central plaza.
- Class size is from around 3 to 5 students per teacher. Classes are with other international students.
- Language classes and electives are typically held from 9 AM to 1 PM.
- After class are the intercambios, daily exchange programs with local Mexican university students.
- The Language Department has modern facilities include a library, computer lab, and comfortable classroom space.
- Tuition and fees are paid to SOL Education Abroad.
- Tuition and fees are currently $7,495 per semester.
- Tuition and fees cover academic tuition, room and board, and many other services.
- Students are responsible for travel to and from Oaxaca.
- See the budget sheets above.
- Homestay arrangements are included in the tuition and fees.
- Meals are included in the homestay.
- Independent housing is possible. Students are responsible for their own arrangements and the housing fee is deducted from the tuition and fees.
- Pacific Beach Trip
- Monte Albán Pre-Hispanic Pyramids
- Tlacolula Market and Teotilán Artisan Village
- Sierra Norte Mountains Hiking Trip
- And more
- The city of Oaxaca de Juárez (pop. 265,000) is the capital and largest city of the Mexican state of the same name.
- Located in southern Mexico.
- Long settled before the Spanished arrived in 1521.
- City center is designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Economy heavily dependent on tourism.
- Noted for it outstanding cuisine.
- Many sites of interest, including:
- Plaza de la Constitucíon (Zócalo)
- Andador Macedonio Alcalá, pedestrian tourist corridor
- Churches and religious building from early colonial and baroque periods
- Numerous museums
- Parks and gardens